Our First Class of Fellows
In November 2016, The Arena set out to build a community that activates the next generation of civic leaders who believe in an equitable and inclusive democracy. Today, we take another critical step in that mission as we announce our inaugural class of Arena PAC Fellows.
These leaders, all brave first-time candidates for elected office in 2018, were selected based on their ability to do the following: communicate their story and values, bridge across political parties and ideologies, grow and improve as leaders, and showcase strong and viable early-stage campaigns. They represent a new generation of authentic leaders who will shift the culture of our politics.
The Arena PAC Fellowship will provide direct support to campaigns, with a special emphasis on four areas: story and values; campaign leadership; training and coaching; and fundraising. Fellows will also be paired with Arena Tactical Advisors who come with experience working in all areas of campaigns — from organizing and communications, to data and analytics — at the national, state, and local level.
We believe every one of these candidates has a path to victory. We have deliberately selected a few Fellows who many believe are underdogs because of historic party identification and gerrymandering in their districts. But when these leaders are clear about their values, tell their story in a clear and authentic way, and work like hell, they will upend conventional wisdom about what’s possible.
We implore you to get to know these incredible women and men, who are working hard to earn the right to serve us — and if you’re as inspired as we are, help them by donating, volunteering and spreading the word about their candidacies. Donate to the full slate — your donation will be equally distributed to each of their campaigns — or customize a donation to particular campaigns.
Please meet the 2018 Arena PAC Fellows.
In addition to our Arena PAC Fellows, we are excited to announce the following investments:
- We’re investing in Avalanche Strategy and WIN to work with a select group of 2017 candidates for the Virginia House of Delegates to refine their core message and narrative, and shoot and produce video ads that will amplify their stories online.
- We’ve invested in the Public Rights Project, a new nonprofit formed to train and equip a cadre of talented attorneys to serve two-year fellowships in state and local government law offices, where they will fight for people's rights. Their founder, Jill Habig, will also be joining us as a Fellow as we help her launch and scale the organization.
- We’ve invested in Flippable to help them continue to scale their groundbreaking work to bring attention and resources to state legislative races.
- We plan on making additional investments in Virginia’s 2017 races in the weeks to come. We will also expand our Fellowship, with a class of 20 anticipated Fellows in the Spring of 2018.
What can you do to help?
1. Donate to the full slate of Fellows — your donation will be equally distributed to each of their campaigns — or customize a donation to particular campaigns.
2. Purchase your ticket to our next Arena Summit in Phoenix, Arizona in December 2017, where many of these candidates will be joined by hundreds of other candidates, activists, operatives, and policy experts.
3. Learn more about The Arena and stay in touch.